Friday, January 23, 2015

The Adventures of a Mage in Skyrim - Part 11

Out In The Wilderness II





The next day saw me exploring the area around the college. On my practise-sessions on the rooftops I saw a Nordic burial mount just to the north. It actually seemed pretty close. Close enough to do some target practise on the creatures wandering around it. I wondered if I hit anything.
I climbed down the cliffs it is resting upon and eventually stood on the shore in inhospitable wilderness, many meters beyond the college's safe grounds. I gathered some barnacles and spiky grass and walked through some ruins from the time of the the great collapse.
I made my way carefully along the shore and over ice-sheets. A quite peaceful scenery if there weren't the wild beasts. One of them, a giant snow-bear attacked me after I reached a small island not far from the beach. The bear was a tough opponent. I ran for my life, zigzagged and used up quite an amount of healing and stamina potions before I was eventually able to kill it.
I was more than a bit proud of my victory. First the bandit-chief, now a snow-bear. You really have to use the environment to you favour. Open space is great when you are faster or at least more agile than you enemy. You can always dodge the attacks then. I also understood that my defeats at the fort north of Riften and at Bleak Falls Barrow were due to the confined space they happened at. I simply couldn't avoid getting hit! I had to be careful at such places. Its nice to have an advantage outdoors, but I also needed protection for indoor fights.
Wandering further north I finally found the burial mound and indeed it was populated: two Skeletons attacked me, but I could take them out pretty easily. A further investigation of the area told me that I really did hit something firing down from the college: burned bones from at least two more skeletons where scattered all over the place – not bad shooting!
The tomb itself proved to be more dangerous. A pretty tough draugr did raise from its grave as soon I entered it. As soon it fell burning into the snow I searched the place and made a really nice find: a amulet of waterbreathing! This might be handy some day.



A Nordic burial mount, covered in snow.


Leaving the tomb I could see a boat laying on the shore of and island north of it. I went there, prepared to run into anything from a pack of bandits to some insane necromancer. It turned out I was wrong. Well mostly. I found cave not far from the boat and as I climbed down it, I saw the strangest thing I ever did in my life. It was a large cube made of golden metal like the Dwemer used, with several crystals or gems stuck in some kind of panel. It must have been some kind of mechanism, so much I could tell. But nothing alike anything I've seen before.
Before the strange apparatus was a mage, inspecting this, tinkering there. He was perfectly peaceful, but also perfectly nuts as it soon turned out.
It wasn't an easy task to detect any coherence in his words, but so much I gathered: His name was Septimus Signus and he was studying the secrets of the Dwemer. Obviously for far too long already... Anyway he told me about the technology of the Dwemer and that they were even able to read an Elder Scroll with their machines – without getting insane or blind that is. Usually every mortal who tries to read them, inevitably loses either their mind or their sight. Septimus told me he had a short glance once too. His eyes still work perfectly.
Even though we just met he seemed to have great trust in me. He told me where I could can find the entrance to the legendary “Blackreach”, an underground dwemer city. In order to open the strange mechanism he needs the knowledge of one of these Elder Scrolls and he suspected I could find one there.
He gave me two mechanisms he was able to uncover: a cube the Dwemer used to store their knowledge in and an orb he called “Attunement Sphere”, which acts as a kind of key to unlock various dwemer mechanisms. The cube, which he called “Lexicon”, was to store the information of the scroll.
Still overwhelmed from his story I wondered: If only half of the things he told me were true, this might be an incredible discovery! If that was just the ramblings of a madman and the Dwemer artefacts he gave me weren't working – or not in the way he promised me they would – I would likely die a death somewhere where noone would find my bones for a long time...

I found it wasn't a bad idea to postpone my decision whether I should trust the old man's words and search for the Elder Scroll or not. I was honing my skills and began to gain confidence, but that wasn't a reason to become careless or too bold.
It was already dusk when I left the cave. I headed west and after a while discovered the silhouette of a man standing on top of a cliff looking out to the sea. As I came closer I realized it was a shrine of Talos and had a rest there, enjoying a gorgeous starlit night.
Heading further west I had a few close calls with snow-bears. They could still get pretty dangerous to me if I made a mistake, but I handled myself pretty well. I even finally got a hang on the fireball spell. That made it much easier for me to attack them at longer distances already. While a firebolt only causes damage at a very limited spot, a fireball sets a whole area on fire. Usually enough to hurt a group if they are standing close enough togeher. Very handy!
I also found a nordic ruin with the statue of a warrior inside. His empty hands were looking like holding a weapon. A greatsword or an axe perhaps. I wondered what happened to it. I also found three alcoves which may been blocked passages further down the tomb. I wasn't able to find any mechanism though which could open them. Later I found out that this was the tomb of the legendary warrior Ysgramor, founder of a group of warrior called the Companions, which is still active. Small world!


Travelling further inland.


I felt pretty confident and headed further away from the college and the shoreline, went past the statue of Azura, crossed some mountains and found an abandoned fort on their foothold, just near a road. At least I thought it was abandoned but I could spot several skeletons and people with robes. I must have found a fort full of renegade necromancers!
I pondered my chances. I was standing on a narrow ridge high up on a rock wall. The fort down below me. So height was to my advantage: I had a clear line of fire while they would perhaps only see a part of me – if they could spot me at all. I took out the skeletons pretty quickly, but the two mages turned out to be significantly tougher. It was in fact the longest and most difficult fight I had yet: Both were able to absorb a lot of the damage I inflicted to them. And after they did spot me, they did land some very precise hits on me. I was able to cure myself and restore my magical powers – but so did they! I knew I couldn't relay on potions to win this fight. I had only a limited number of them and used them up pretty quickly. I ran zigzag on the ridge and dodged quite a lot of their attacks while returning fire as much as my magical reserves allowed. Finally I took out one of them, but the other hid himself in the blind spot just below me on the foot of the rock wall. I knew where he was, but as soon I came closer to the edge he sent his ice-spikes against me. With terrible effectiveness. One time he almost got me, and I collapsed to the ground for a moment. I was lucky though that I was out of his line of sight or he could have ended the fight pretty easily. I waited till my reserves were filled again and then carefully I sneaked to the edge of my ridge again and sent a hailstorm of fireballs at him. I knew I did hurt him, but not enough. He returned with lightning bolts and I had to retreat again. I was stuck. There was no way back: the rocks above me were way too steep to climb and if I tried to somehow get down the rock-wall, the mage would have an easy target.
I began to wonder how long I could endure this fight before I made a mistake or just collapse in exhaustion as I suddenly saw lightning bolts flashing below me. But not heading to my direction! Something must have distracted him. I took this chance and mobilized all energy I had against him. And indeed: he eventually fell into the snow and never got up again.
I climbed down the rockwall and looked what have might have distracted him. An argonian woman was running off the scene. She looked more or less unharmed but certainly scared to death. I think she had no idea she just saved my life. And I most likely hers too.
Next I searched the bodies. The mage had an impressive staff of Lightning bolts. A weapon which could became very useful. Then I had a look over the fort. There were buildings on its far side, but I decided not to test my luck too much. The fight was difficult enough and I likely wont have survived it if it that Argonian didn't came by.

I did consulte my map and identified the fort as fort Kastav, not far from Windhelm. Since I was closer to Winhelm than to Winterhold already I decided to visit Ulfric's stronghold again.

East of the city I discovered a large circle of stones. Perhaps the ruins of another burial mound? It sometimes seems that half is Skyrim is graves! I was already on my way back to the safetly of Winterholds walls as two Spriggans suddenly appeared. Within moments they drained the life out of me. I ran as fast as I could – and I think that saved me. I had the advantage on long range and killed them both with fireballs before they could get close again.

No comments:

Post a Comment